Indications and Usage of MIRCERA®
MIRCERA® is an erythropoiesis-stimulating agent (ESA) indicated for the treatment of anemia associated with chronic kidney disease (CKD) in:
- Adult patients on dialysis and adult patients not on dialysis.
- Pediatric patients 5 to 17 years of age on hemodialysis who are converting from another ESA after their hemoglobin level was stabilized with an ESA.
Limitations of Use1
MIRCERA® is not indicated and is not recommended for use:
- in the treatment of anemia due to cancer chemotherapy.
- as a substitute for red blood cell transfusions in patients who require immediate correction of anemia. MIRCERA® has not been shown to improve quality of life, fatigue, or patient well-being.
MIRCERA® is contraindicated in patients with:
- uncontrolled hypertension.
- pure red cell aplasia (PRCA) that begins after treatment with MIRCERA® or other erythropoietin protein drugs.
- history of serious or severe allergic reactions to MIRCERA® (e.g., anaphylactic reactions, angioedema, bronchospasm, pruritus, skin rash, and urticaria).
For more information, please see the full Prescribing Information, including Boxed WARNING, and Medication Guide (English, Español) for MIRCERA®.
1MIRCERA® [prescribing information]. St. Gallen, Switzerland: Vifor (International) Inc.; June 2018.